I would say that I've always struggled with my weight, but actually, "struggled" isn't the right word. It's more like I complain about being plump, but I don't really work properly to keep it where I want it to be. I'd rather just eat what I want and exercise when I want, and be the size I want to be. That's not realistic, I know, but it's what I'd like to see.
Right now, I'm close to the heaviest I've ever been, but my size has been pretty constant since high school...with the small exception of that year in college with all the gallbladder problems where I dropped about 30 pounds without even thinking about it. That was a little too much for me, because looking back at those pictures, I looked funny. My goal for this year, though, is to lose 30 pounds. Since the beginning of the year, I've lost 3.4 pounds so far, which sounds good on paper, but not when you realize that it's taken me 8 weeks to do it. My goal for this week was to lose 2 pounds by our Friday morning weigh-in, but I'm not sure that I'll make it. I'd have to practically starve myself to make it now.
I just want to be realistic with myself, though. I don't want to give up the foods I love, because I know that as soon as I get to the size I want to be, I'll start eating those things again. I just need to control my portions, not eat so late at night, and exercise more. The exercise is the big one for me. As I type, I'm putting off getting on the treadmill so that I can sit here and talk about how I need to get on the treadmill. *sigh*
I told Jake the other day that I want to really get our weights under control before we start a family. Kids with overweight parents tend to end up as overweight kids. I don't want that for my children. I need to live my life as an example of the type of life I want for my future children.
With that said, I need to get on the treadmill. Now.
I'm thirsty.
15 years ago


I am the same exact way with wanting to eat whatever I want yet also trying to lose weight. I am not going to totally deprive myself!! But last year when I gave up cheese & crackers and m&m's right before we went to Disney, I dropped like 5 lbs with no additional effort! It made me realize how much of an effect what I eat has on my body. I added those things back into what I can eat, but now knowing what it can do, I eat significantly less, and its not even something I have to put a ton of effort into. I don't WANT it as much anymore. So like you said, its all about portion control and exercise. Down with diets!! I am at a kind of plateau right now and part of that is me not working out consistently but I am also going to think about what other things I eat daily that aren't the best for me, and sort of fast from that item for a month or two to see what happens.
ReplyDeleteI've always struggled with weight too! I don't think I'll ever be thin - even in high school (when I played basketball and volleyball and consequently exercised very regularly) I was never as trim as I wanted to be. I still haven't lost the weight from baby #2 and she'll be 2 years old next week!!! My eating downfalls are chocolate and cheese (not at the same time).
ReplyDelete